Sunday, December 16, 2007

EPIC

First I want to say that there is something to be said about getting up really early in the morning to go skiing. To start in the pitch dark and ski in the valleys surrounded by mountains while the sun comes up. The sky looks like it is on fire, the snow is a bright white that starts to sparkle in the sun, you can see your breath, you can hear everything you around. It's just me, my skis and the snow! Amazing!

Second I should tell you about a great weekend! Saturday it was cold, very cold; the race started at 10am, it was 3 loops, so very spectator friendly, which was nice because it was so cold that the snow was squeaking under my skis. I think in some sections I could have started running up the hill with my skis...it was that slow! I remember thinking to myself that I had to have very fast tempo on the uphills cause there was so little glide...my turn over was very high, I motored myself around the loop three times for first place. Anja Jokela was second just 12 seconds behind me. It was a very tight race for the two of us. After the race I headed to Stowe to get in some good skiing before the storm...WHAT YOU SAY...STORM?

Sunday was AMAZING we got another foot of snow. It was important for me to train on Sunday, I had an OD planned of three hours. When it gets tough the tough get going , is what I had to tell myself in the morning. It was really cold, WINDY and snowing hard. I believe I was the only one out at Catamount skiing. For a good reason, the wind was so strong that it blew me over three times. I decided it would be best to stay in the woods...it was cool, I was skiing along in the light ungroomed fresh snow, at some points it was up to my knees and all I could hear the wind.

Monday I got to take the day off from training and go work...I love my new job.

Tuesday a massive truck t-bones me on my way into work...the good news is I got my training in first and no one is hurt (good thing the truck driver was four times my size, when I got out of my truck the first thing the driver said to me was: "happy holidays"). I had another early morning ski with Anja, at one point we could see the hills sparkling with the sun rising...boy I wish I had my camera for that one!

No comments: