Sunday, September 9, 2007

MT. MANSFIELF HIKE WITH ANJA


Yesterday was a great sunny day, there was rain expected in the afternoon but we were very lucky and never quite got it. It was however so humid that everything was wet all day. My day started with an AM roller ski race at the range in Jericho with some of the best Skiers and Biathletes in the country. The race was VERY tough and very fun, V2 Jenix did a very good job putting together the races this summer and Ethan Allen Biathlon Club did a very good job cleaning up the course to make it safe for the skiers.

I had a little bad luck the day before and while I was roller skiing out in Jericho, my ski broke! Than while I was warming up my pole broke. Luckily Pat Coffee was there to find me a spare pole, and I made him hold onto another pole for me just in case I broke another one during my race. After two things happening in two days I was worried that something else was going to happen because they say things come in threes. So I figured better to be safe than sorry.

In the afternoon after some awards and socializing with the other athletes I went for a very fun nice Hike on Mt. Mansfield with Anja who just got back from biking all around Europe.

Anja at the top of Mt. Mansfield
Me pushing up a boulder on our way down, my strength training must be paying off.

The hike was very slick, not to mention it was very steep; there was a few times that we were bouldering over up some steep sections of rock, and other times that were where crawling under some big boulders. All and all very cool, but once we were at the top we had to find another "easier" way down. We decided to take the long trail back down to buttlers lodge, once we got to butters lodge I let my guard down figuring we where safe and slipped off a rock and rolled my ankle pretty good. I am sure I only have a grade 1 sprain and it should be better in a few days, but for a few minutes I was a little worried, and upset cause I only had one day left in my training cycle, all I could think to myself is: "why did this have to happen today, one workout left!"

Today I can hobble around and my ankle is a little swollen but I should be better in a few days, I am doing a good job with RICE. So I start my recovery week on day early, at least it wasn't a week or two early. Training is going really well and I am feeling very strong so there is no dought in my mind that I won't be able to recover fast.

Hazzy, hot and humid...not much to see from the top!

No comments: