Sunday, July 13, 2008

Climb To Mt. Top



Today I had my first roller ski race down in Rutland, Vermont. An 11k climb up to Mt. Top. To give you an idea it's a mass start race, where we have about 400 meters before we start climbing for a few k. The first climb was very nice, I had to put together a plan this year, there were a few girls in the race that are very strong skiers. I couldn't go out to hard risking bonking, so I jumped behind a very young & talented skier, Keely Levins for about 2 k. The group stayed together for a few K, until I decided it was time to spread out the field. For a little while I was worried I had made a move to soon.



My attack broke up the race and for a few k I skied on my own until Alex Jospe caught me. We skied together trying to fend of the other skiers, I felt very good on the flat section...than we reached the final 3k. The steepest 3k of my life...I put my head down and went. Many times I skied hard in fear that Alex was going to beat me, I could hear her poles gripping the pavement behind me, they always sounded like they were coming closer and closer. Than I saw the 200m sign and knew I could win this race. It was a good hard race with some very good girls there.



Below is video from the race. Very early on. We all look rested & relaxed!

No comments: